The Daughters of Charity of the Spanish Province landed on Indian soil on 7th Feb., 1940 and opened their first House at Gopalpur on 12th February. The four Sisters who pioneered in this adventure were; Sr. Adelaida Baieda, Sr. Paz Garcia, Sr. Angelina Beramendi and Sr. Milagros del Val. Within a year, two Spanish Sisters from Philippine Province: Sr. Ana Jimenez and Sr. Magdalena Villanueva joined the community in India.
In different groups, Sisters from Spain continued to arrive to “Cuttack Mission”. Girls from Kerala, desirous of joining the Community came to Orissa. The first batch of Indian sisters, Sr. Francisca Kavattuchira, Sr. Teresa Pottanany, Sr. Teresita Kunnappally, Sr, Mary Jesus and Sr. Isabel Mukala, after their formation in Spain, began their activities in Orissa in 1949. The number of Sisters from Spain and India grew and India became a Vice Province on 12th March, 1952.
It was erected as a Province with its Provincial House at Berhampur on 29th Jan., 1965.However; the first provincial house was at Shanti Ashram, Berhampur. On 10th May 1979, the Shanti Ashram was handed over to the sisters of the Little Flower of Bethany and the Provincial House was shifted to the present location, Marillac Mercy Home, Berhampur. The Seminary was opened on 18th March, 1967. 12th February 2000, the Indian Province was divided into two provinces: North India, with its Provincial House at Berhampur as before, and South India, with its Provincial House at Bangalore.